The Strings were a set of six string-like objects that appear in Trolls World Tour. Each string represented six different genres of music and was in the possession of one of the six troll tribes, until they were all destroyed near the end of Trolls World Tour.
They appeared to be a different color that glowed faintly when struck. They were originally held on a white harp, which is currently in the possession of the Pop Trolls.
The Strings are as follows (in order left to right of the harp):
- Blue - is the "Techno" string, this was under the protection of Trollex
- Purple - is the "Funk" string, this was under the protection of Quincy and Essence
- Yellow - is the "Classical" string, this was under the protection of Wolfgang Trollzart
- Orange - is the "Country" string, this was under the protection of Delta Dawn
- Red - is the "Rock" string, this was under the protection of Barb
- Pink - is the "Pop" String, this was under the protection of Poppy
Each one when plucked produced a note of the type of music they represented. The Pop String played a pop note for example.
It was possible to use a string to overwrite the natural tune of the other strings, and if all 6 were gathered, all types of music could be removed except the chosen type of music of the player's choice. This forms the basis of Queen Barb's quest in Trolls World Tour, as she seeks out the other 5 Strings to destroy all music but Rock. As seen when she places the Techno string, its blue color changes to red to match the Rock string, the music the String represented then disappears.
When used together, the Strings have the power to transform music into one kind. When the ancestors of the Pop Trolls had it, their drew from the Strings the ability to remix any kind of music into Pop music, thus forcing only Pop to be heard. Barb forcibly transform trolls into a different kind under the sway of the one who transformed them, as Queen Barb transforms Branch, King Quincy & Queen Essence, King Trollex, Trollzart, and Delta Dawn (and Clampers) into Rock Zombies.
However, if someone is unable to hear the Strings being used upon them in this manner (as Poppy used gumdrops as earplugs) they will only change their appearance on the outside but remain who they really are on the inside.
The destruction of the Strings undoes this forced transformation, reverting the converted trolls to their original selves. However, this seemingly rids the Trolls of their music and their colors. This proved to be wrong after the trolls realized that they no longer needed the Strings because Music had always come from within themselves.
In the beginning, the Trolls had no music and life was boring. Then a sound caught their attention, to capture that sound the ancestors of the Trolls created 6 strings to represent a different type of music: Pop, Funk, Techno, Classical, Country, and Rock. Each String belonged to a different Tribe of the same name. It is implied the Six Strings came from the hair of a troll from each tribe, as the ancestral trolls shown in the flashback had hair colors that matched their tribal strings' colors. The six strings governed each kind of music, as well as everything in between the Tribes music.
The Troll Tribes had a party and life was good until the the Pop Trolls decided to steal the strings. They remixed the genres of the other Tribes into Pop music and refuse to let the others play their sounds. In order to get their Music back, the Elders of the other Tribes each took their Tribe's String and went their separate ways, and the troll tribes thereafter lived apart, isolated from each other.
Things remained that way until the events of Queen Barb's Rock World Tour. According to her, it was King Thrash who suggested the idea of taking the strings. She took each string with the intent to unite the Tribes under one music, Rock, with everyone being turned into a Rock Zombie using the Ultimate Power Chord. The only Trolls spared was whomever brought her Queen Poppy, after Poppy (unintentionally) annoyed Barb. Barb succeeded in obtaining all the Strings, and converted Branch into a rock zombie after he shielded Poppy from Barb's Chord, and then did the same to all the other Tribe leaders. A severe miscalculation on her part in regards to the Pop Tribe's leader Queen Poppy spared her from being converted fully into a Rock Zombie is she used gumdrops as earplugs to keep mind safed, and she destroyed the Strings.
With the Strings, gone the music the Trolls had was drained. The Trolls realized soon afterwards they could make music without them, as the music now came from within, thus ending the need for the Strings.
- When faced told the truth of the Pop Trolls having stolen the Strings previously, and the Rock Trolls having now gone on a conquest to find the Strings, Poppy pointed out to Quincy this won't stop with the Rock Trolls. She notes the cycle will continue after the Rock Trolls and that it was only a matter of time before one of the other Tribes eventually going after them. With the Strings now destroyed, however, this is no longer a threat.
- The color of their related Strings is present on all the leaders design. Queen Barb's hair is the color red, Poppy's completely pink, Delta's skin orange, Trollex's skin blue, Trollzart's skin yellow, King Quincy's skin purple, etc.